Friday, March 28, 2008
North Peak
Yesterday I set out to scout Rocky Gap Road to see how far I could drive it; it really helps in planning a longer hike like Bridge. I had never been this way, so I had no idea what I was in for. Everything was going along pretty good, and then the "road" starts to follow a wash. My truck is designed for off-road and has high clearance, but is only 2WD. About all I can do is lock the rear differential. I am not sure I would take ANY vehicle up to the summit. Yes, there were tire tracks, but these people either don't care about their cars or are crazy. I did get about as far as I expected, which makes the top of the escarpment hikes doable for me. The distance to North Peak was 4.6 miles RT. I am waiting for the rest of the snow and ice to melt before attempting Bridge. The views are awesome from up here.





