Thursday, March 27, 2008
Sandstone Quarry Peak - Aborted
Earlier this week, Richard and I set out to do a short scramble to Sandstone Quarry Peak. I readily admit this; I had to chicken out. I felt like I was going to fall when I lost both my hand grips at the same time. This spooked me, and I was too scared when we got to the next tough section. One slip meant a 20 foot drop. Richard proved it could be done by grabbing onto a tree and inching his way up. I was looking for another way, but the truth was that I was done for the day. I'm getting too old for this sh*t. I felt bad for him because he didn't get to finish the hike. I am learning something about myself: This is the second time I couldn't finish a scramble because I didn't trust my grip/footing, yet I have the right shoes. I just need to take more challenges and increase my comfort zone. Getting hurt is just not my thing, and when there is exposure I really struggle with the dangerous feeling it gives me. This is something I need to work on.



