Monday, January 21, 2008

Calico Hills I Peak

I ate very bad things yesterday in honor of the championship games. Today, I had to pay the price with a short rock scramble to Calico Hills I Peak in Red Rock Canyon. While it is clearly unwise, I had to make the trek alone today. This is the third time I've done this particular route, so I chose it for its relative safety. There is only one class III section (this means that you must use your arms for more than just balance.) Here is the fool about to climb:





The route is very confusing as you weave back and forth through the rocks. It is not something I would attempt without knowing the way, which I learned through a hiking book by Branch Whitney (see links).




I have to go up there?




The uphill sections really kill the heart and lungs in a creepy way. I find myself scrambling pretty easily until I get to a spot where I can rest that's flat-esque, and then I realize that my heart is beating out of my chest and I can't breathe. Oops!

The proper shoes are critical for traction on the steep parts:




The views from the top are quite worth the trip. I could see 360 degrees.