Jeff Gobel (the other Figwee co-founder)and I set out today to finish what I had started last week (I got lost the first time, and I had to turn back). From the backside of the sandstone bluffs at Red Rock Canyon, you can reach the top of the bluffs through varied amounts of pain and risk. One of the easier routes for this is to a place called "The Park", which is an amazing area where the sandstone is relatively flat and very smooth from erosion. Up high on the edge of the sandstone crags, the views are incredible. There is no trail; you just park your car and make your way through about 2.5 miles of washes and brush to get there. About halfway there you are thinking to yourself: "why am I doing this again?" However, as soon as you reach the ridge with a view that stretches for over a hundred miles, you quickly realize why. There is no trace of people here; this is not a popular or publicly known route. You could spend hours playing around the bizarre formations of sandstone. It was a great day; we think it would be a perfect place to camp and watch the lights of Las Vegas glow in the distance. We will be back.
Hiking Time was about 3.5 hours
Distance was about 5 miles round trip
Elevation gain was +600 feet, but with a lot of whoopdies
Calories earned: 1,950



